Moving into your new home is an exciting yet quite a stressful ordeal. However, the amount of work ahead should not overshadow your excitement. Relocating into a new home is one of the most prevalent realities since more than half a million people are considering moving into a different location. Factors that influence relocation could be work related matters, some families move into a different place due to acquiring a new home. Therefore, it is highly important to know what you should do in preparation for your relocation.moving to a new home
When you decide to move yourself, you should have a systematic checklist to ensure convenience and comfort when you make your move. Below is a checklist for moving yourself into a new location.
- It is important to plan ahead of time. Check out truck rental companies and make to reserve for a moving truck early, at least two three months before your moving date. Make sure to have a written confirmation of all your expenses and a complete detail of your move.
- Two months before you move, go over your home and determine what you want to bring along to your new location and what you want to throw away or donate. You may also make a garage or moving sale to help dispose of items you no longer need.
- If your children are moving into a new school, start arranging the school transfer process as early as two to three months before your actual move.
- Make a list of items that require extra attention when you move or things that need special packing instructions such as televisions, computers, and fine chinaware among others. Secure boxes and moving supplies such as bubble wrap, packing tape, tissue paper or newspaper for packing items.
- A month before your move, start packing your things. Start packing items that you do not regularly use. Label and number the boxes accordingly to make the unpacking later easier. As you pack, take note of items of significant value like flat screen TV or stereo systems.
- Fill out a change of address form with your new address at your local post office. Make sure to inform your bank, phone and cable providers, insurance companies, credit card companies, doctor and dentists of your new address.
- Two weeks before you move, confirm your reservation with the truck rental company. You may also cancel or transfer your newspaper or magazine subscription.
- Most of your packing should already be finished a week prior to your moving day. Also, pack a travel bag with the necessary items your family needs on moving day, like change of clothing, toothbrushes, soap, toiletries, medications, and paper plates and cups.
Put into consideration a thorough checking of everything to ensure that you are not missing on important details. On moving day, prepare yourself and your family both emotionally and morally since moving into a new home you are bound to experience a significant transition. If you have children, it is good to prepare them of what lies ahead in your new home.